Friday 14 February 2014

How To Make a Shaped Card

I've received quite a lot of queries about how I make my shaped cards, so as it's a pretty easy tutorial to do in pictures I thought I'd make it my first ever tutorial.

To start you will need an A4 size die cutting machine such as a Calibur, Big Shot Pro or eBosser (I have the eBosser personally, no winding, it's fab! ) and either the larger sets (XXL) of Go Kreate dies or Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities.  I use the 3rd size down from the largest to create a card that's around 6 x 6 inches (approx 15 x 15 cms).

You can make shaped cards with smaller dies and smaller die cutting machines, they'll just smaller in size of course, but the same principles apply.

Ok so apart from your die and machine, you'll need some card stock and design paper.  I use A4 card stock, I know some people use A3 and I do too if I'm cutting something like an oval shape, but I find I can get most shapes from an A4 sheet so that's what I'm using here.

STEP 1
Take your piece of card and score and fold it across the middle



STEP 2
Line up your die on your folded card so that all the die is covered except for a small piece at the top on the fold, it should look something like this, do check that there are no cutting parts of the die protruding from the edges except where you want to miss cutting the card at the top.


STEP 3
Attach your die to your card stock with some lo tack/removable tape, I'm using stencil tape here. This is to stop the card/die making any little movements while going through the machine.


Your card should look like this when it comes out.


STEP 4
Now you will need to cut a single piece of card stock and a piece of design paper the same way BUT this time cover the whole of your die.  
You should now have your card and the 2 peices you have just cut out like below.


STEP 5
Now glue your DP to your single piece of card stock and then glue the whole thing to your card.  It should look like this from the back, don't forget to do any distressing/inking/sewing etc before this stage.


That's it, you can now carry on and complete your card as normal.

In case you were wondering...this is what my finished card looks like.


I do hope you found this tutorial useful, take care and happy crafting.

Linda : ) x x

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial!!!

BeaCas said...

Thank you for the tutorial Linda .... The dies that you use is for spellbinders?

Linda Levoir said...

Hi Beatriz, the die in these pictures is a Go Kreate XXL die, but I also have some Grand Nestabilities that I use as well. You can get the Go Kreate dies here http://www.gokreate.co.uk/Products/Go-Kreate-Dies/XXL-Frames :)